Sharjah City Municipality has always been keen on launching qualitative initiatives, facilities and services to the people of determination, in line with the wise vision of HH Sheikh Dr Sultan Bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, member of the Supreme Council Ruler of Sharjah, who pays most of his attention to this category, and directed all government entities in the emirate to provide all available resources and means for their integration into society, enabling them to play an active role in the field of work and production. These fruitful efforts have been resulted in Sharjah emirate being reorganized as ‘Accessible City for the Physically Disabled’ in 2018 by the World Federation of Disabled. An important achievement to be added to the emirate's robust record of local and international achievements.
The following are the most important facilities and services provided by Sharjah Municipality to the people of determination:
- Special infrastructure for the physically disabled persons in parks and municipal facilities, as follows:
- Providing entryways and exits with special specifications including smooth gradations within the park corridors to facilitate their movement.
- Observing all standard engineering specifications by assigning a special color to the ramps and selecting appropriate finishing materials.
- Applying the global standards such as corridor width and slope of the ramps.
- Providing wheelchairs at the parks, buildings and facilities of the municipality, as well as golf cars at the main building of the municipality.
- Allowing families with People of Determination Cards to enter parks without having to present the entry card.
- Engaging people of determination in the various activities and events organized by the municipality in the parks to teach them skills such as handicrafts and others.
- Qualitative initiatives for the use of public parking spaces
- Allocating parking spaces for the people of determination near the main gates of the parks and facilities of the municipality.
- Placing guidance signs identifying the parking spaces allocated to the people of determination.
- Allocating the proceeds of the public parking fees surrounding the Sharjah City for Humanitarian Services to the organization to serve its higher goals.
- Environmental, agricultural, health and community initiatives
- Allocating the proceeds of the fruit plant nursery that was inaugurated during the announcement of the new identity of the municipality plant nurseries with the new name "Sharjah
- Municipality Parks" for the students of Massarat Center of Sharjah City for Humanitarian Services.
- Ten students with mental disabilities were given the opportunity to work in the fruit plant nursery after receiving specialized training from municipal specialists for six months.
- Providing training on good health practices by engaging people of determination in the Sharjah Food Safety Program to benefit from its many advantages.
- Organizing periodic visits to Sharjah City for Humanitarian Services in national and social events with the participation of municipality's top management, and rolling out recreational and educational activities in the city to make them happy.